“Mistress Mary Quite Contrary, how does your garden grow? With silver bells and cockle shells all in a pretty row.”
I felt a little left out. A lot of close BFFs had Kindles. I did not. Not until last week anyways, when I succombed to the pressure of one of my weaknesses – technology gadgets. I got the cover with the built in light. I plugged it in and started toI roam through the section of the Top 100 Free books. ”25 Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes” – okay – I’m all about that. ”Breakthrough! How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed the World” – I heard this one was interesting and thought it would give me some trivia to talk about at a party. Then I saw “The Secret Garden” and my eyes widened to the size of one of those chocolate chip cookies. (A garden book – go figure!) I had never read it and yet it’s a classic about a little orphaned girl getting shipped off to a relative’s estate on the moors in England. She’s mostly alone and goes out walking the property in search of this “secret garden” she heard about from a servant.
In the second chapter I saw something that made me just smile! And, if you’ve read it, you know the first few chapters are pretty gloomy. I shot back in time to my own childhood and remembered being in my Mom’s beautiful, backyard garden I remember the lady slippers, gladiolas, forsythias, and roses. I remember the colors and the smell! And, I remember singing (badly, I’m sure).”Mistress Mary Quite Contrary, how does your garden grow? With silver bells and cockle shells all in a pretty row.”
I never knew that my first book on Kindle and a childhood classic would be the source gratitude that I felt for a very special memory with my mom. I’m only 13% done and I have a feeling Mom and I will get some more time “together” for the remaining 87%.
Looks like it could snow tonight. A perfect time to read.